Society

Three teenagers detained over alleged Denmark school attack plot

Three teenagers accused of planning a Denmark school attack have been placed in pre-trial detention after police alleged that they used Discord and Telegram to prepare an attack on Hadsten School in eastern Jutland. The suspects, two aged 16 and one aged 15, deny the allegations.

The three boys were arrested on the morning of Monday, 3 August, in an operation involving East Jutland Police (Østjyllands Politi), the Danish Security and Intelligence Service (Politiets Efterretningstjeneste, PET) and Copenhagen Police.

Two were arrested in eastern Jutland, while the third was detained in Copenhagen. They are suspected of attempted terrorism under Section 114 of the Danish Criminal Code.

Denmark school attack allegedly discussed online

According to the preliminary allegations presented at Randers District Court (Retten i Randers), the teenagers corresponded through Discord and Telegram while planning to kill or injure several people at Hadsten School, in Favrskov Municipality.

A Ritzau report published by DK Nyt said prosecutors alleged that the preparations continued until 3 August and were interrupted by the arrests. The prosecution also claims that the three acted together with the intention of seriously intimidating the population.

All three suspects deny criminal responsibility. The allegations have not been tested at trial, and the available information does not establish whether the alleged plan was operationally feasible.

The court hearing was held behind closed doors at the prosecution’s request. A reporting restriction also prevents Danish media from publishing the suspects’ names or information that could identify them more widely.

Teenagers placed in pre-trial detention

After a hearing lasting almost six hours, the court found that there were reasonable grounds to suspect the teenagers of attempted terrorism and ordered them to be held in pre-trial detention in substitute facilities.

This form of detention is generally used when minors cannot be held under ordinary prison conditions. It is a procedural measure and does not amount to a finding of guilt.

Under Section 114 of Denmark’s Criminal Code, acts including murder or serious violence can be prosecuted as terrorism when they are capable of causing serious harm and are intended, among other purposes, to intimidate a population severely.

The investigation must therefore examine both what the teenagers allegedly planned and the intent attributed to them. Police have not disclosed a possible ideological motive or evidence of affiliation with an extremist organisation.

Police say Hadsten School is not in danger

Police Inspector Anders Uhrskov said the case was serious and would naturally create concern. However, he stressed that authorities do not currently consider Hadsten School to be in danger following the arrests.

East Jutland Police has opened discussions with Favrskov Municipality and the school about measures intended to reassure pupils, parents and employees. Police said the school and municipality could only be informed after the arrests because of the nature of the investigation.

Favrskov Municipality subsequently activated its emergency preparedness plan. Local authorities said they were relying on the police assessment that students and staff could safely attend the school.

The municipality and school are also preparing support for children and employees ahead of the new school term. The case emerged during the summer holiday, shortly before pupils were due to return.

What remains unknown about the alleged plot

The information released so far establishes that police suspect the teenagers of discussing an attack online. It does not clarify how advanced the alleged preparations were, what weapons or methods may have been considered, or what prompted the authorities to intervene.

There is also no verified public information about the teenagers’ motives. Their use of digital platforms may become an important part of the investigation, but it does not by itself demonstrate ideological radicalisation.

The case nevertheless brings together several sensitive issues for Danish authorities: the application of terrorism legislation to minors, the detection of possible threats on online platforms and the protection of schools without creating unnecessary alarm.

Further details may remain limited while the investigation continues behind closed doors. The central questions will be whether prosecutors can prove that the alleged discussions amounted to a concrete attempt and whether the requirements for treating the case as terrorism under Danish law were met.

Shares:

Related Posts